OMG!! I just looked at the date of my last post - 28 July! What happened to August and September?!!
I have been MISSING IN ACTION!!
Since moving into my new workspace, I've been totally distracted from this whole blogging thing. I've been having so much fun setting up, arranging and rearranging my craft room that I've kind of forgotten to journal the process. Oh dear! I really do have some major catch-up time to log!
So, I guess I should fill you in a little on what I've been up to.
If you've read the first post or two on my blog, you would have read about my major side-step from a career as a teaching primary school principal, to basically being self-employed...or at least on a mission to become so. You also would have gleaned from my posts that I'm a bit of a perfectionist who likes to have things 'just so' and to have things proceed in my own prescribed manner. I think it's called OCD!! I'm often told I over-think things and need to learn to just do things without thinking them to death first! Well, I've been working on it, but I'm afraid it's going to be a rather long and strenuous battle..,with myself!!!
Anyway, the plan was, after getting my new workspace created and in effective working order, to start creating and working towards establishing my own little business.
Well, that's been happening, but of course, it's not just about creating and maybe selling a few bits and pieces and building things up slowly. My mental jigsaw just doesn't work like that! I need to see the whole picture and know where it is I'm headed before laying the first piece down. So, as you would have guessed, I've not just been working on product development, but of course the whole gamut of things that go with starting a business.
However, I won't bore you with a long-winded diatribe of my step-by-step plan to launch my business. I will however share a few snapshots of my beginning steps...product development.
With the plan in mind to use our local markets as a launch pad for my new business, I set out to develop my soap range with a few tried and tested recipes (from my Christmas marathon!) and some new ones. Funnily enough, I kicked off with something new for me - Goat's Milk. I actually went back and reviewed my list from a previous post and decided I'd start my new adventure by dabbling in something I had never tried before. I had been fascinated reading other people's tales about Goat's Milk soap and so decided I'd have a go.
Did I mention that I bought my first wooden log mould at Christmas time but hadn't yet had the opportunity to use it? Well, now was the time. But of course one has to line it first don't they? That was another adventure in itself! Gee how I love YouTube!
Once that task was out of the way, and all the gear was organised, it was time to suit up and get soapin'!
After reading about others' adventures with goat's milk I was a little edgy about mixing the lye solution and possibly having the ghastly ammonia smell that occurs when the goat's milk overheats. However it wasn't to be! Luck was on my side that day and thankfully, with using the milk in frozen form, I ended up with a beautiful creamy texture.
So, onwards and upwards!
My first-ever Goat's Milk soap - Lemon & Poppy Seed!
|Lemon & Poppy Seed Goat's Milk Soap|
Off to a great start! I was so pleased with how this turned out, I just had to try more! The next effort wasn't quite so great. In my anticipation to get cracking on another goat's milk soap, I was impatient and didn't quite allow the milk to fully freeze before using it. With a slushy mix, I attempt another soap but this time my hastiness was rewarded with the bright orange glow and hideous stink from the lye container! Despite the initial foul smelling concoction, Strawberry Milkshake, complete with dessicated coconut, turned out not so bad.
As goat's milk is reputed to be good for anyone with sensitive skin, I decided I should have a truly dedicated bar for those who are sensitive to additives such as colourants and fragrances. So along came a very simple, straight-forward, no-frills addition to my new goat's milk collection.
Emboldened by my recent successes with goat's milk, I decided to be really adventurous with my next creation. With goat's milk, oatmeal and about six tablespoons of organic, unrefined honey, I was really getting into the swing of the whole 'additives' thing! Meet 'Goat's Oats & Honey'...
While this turned out to be a beautifully rich and heavily fragrant soap, I soon came to understand the trials and tribulations of working with goat's milk, and honey for that matter. I have come to learn about what happens with overheating during the gel phase, and the resulting crumbling that eventuates when cutting the new soap.
However, after about three goes at it, I think I have it just right!
|My first attempt - crumbly bottom but beautiful to use with 6 tablespoons of honey in it!|
|Modified version with only 3 tablespoons, but no crumbling.|
So, I am proud to say that I can now tick off the 'attempt goat's milk soap' note from my list of things to do.
I have to say it wasn't as scary as I expected it to be - in fact, I am really enjoying making my little range of four goat's milk soaps. They are simple, straight-forward soaps to make but they are so nice to use.
Another notch on my soaping belt!
This is just the beginning of the list of things I've been wanting to try, and of what I've been up to in my new workshop.
Now I need to add 'become a regular blogger' to the list of things to do!
Until the next post...in the not-too-distant-future!
Happy suds and bubbles!